Friday 24 June, 2005

Food

Well just came back from lunch. Had a weird noodle dish called something like Laksa, with a little bit of a vegetarian touch to it. Hmmm.... Was nice, liked the baby corn, and the sprouts, and carrots, and the more than occasional noodles. :)

But this post is destined to mention about my escapades in Melbourne. Reaching Melbourne on the 17th of June had just one reason: to attend the Good Food and Wine Festival that was being held in the Melbourne Exhibition Centre. Reaching Melbourne, or in short Melb, at 8.30 AM on the 17th of June was more tough a task than I imagined. Traveling to a place with a girl is one of the toughest jobs at hand. And if your flight/train leaves in the wee hours of the morning, assume that you shall be racing your ass out to make it to the airport/train station on time. I have seen this happen with my sister, my mother, and even lots of my friends. My case was no different. I decided to stay at Indrie's place overnight, so that she would not miss the flight. She had not slept properly for the past few days, because of a report submission! (And we at IIT would just put one nightout and be happy :D)
I did manage to getup at 4.30, a full 2h30m before the scheduled departure of the flight. I wake her up, and made the mistake of thinking that she would be ready in no time. Indrie takes a full 2 hours to get ready, and apply an infinite amount of makeup, not even realizing that when we get into the cab, there are just 30 minutes for the plane to depart, and none for boarding to close! :O I have been late for flights/trains, but never in my life have I been so late! The cabbie being a master of Sydney roads, took us to the airport in less than 10 minutes, a distance that I thought would take a little over 15 to cover! I hurried to get the boarding passes for both of us, and viola, the flight is 5 minutes delayed, and we are the last passengers on the flight! Whoa! Base one cleared!
So much for an eventful morning. I should have been writing so much for the complete day! Now coming back to the the food and wine festival. I suggest everyone to go to one such festival atleast. For a mere $15.5 or so, you can feast on almost everything you can think of in eating. Drinking though is limited to wine and beer only :( But I guess it's a good make do :P Well, to say the least, I ate and drank for the whole day, non-stop. Eating pies, and pasta, and pizza and loads of local produce, and then washing it down with red & white wine, and the occasional beer! An awesome day for my stomach ;)
But the icing of the cake was when Indrie managed to get hold of a $50 worth voucher of a Seafood Restaurant somewhere in the city. But then, we both being veggies, decided to give the restaurant a try, and their chefs a pain in the ass :D For the record, this was the first time I ate in a restraunt with a maitre d' and a head chef! We were offered the drinks menu. More of a classical photograph album, it took most of the place in front of me, and after more than 15 minutes into the pages, I still came up with no sure choice. So, we asked the much helpful waitress for a pick, and she suggested a local Aussie Shiraz, and we gleefully accepted :)
Ordering some starters, we made the going tough for the chef, when we disclosed that we won't be having any of their famous fish, but just something veg. Only ONE dish in the menu catered to us! So, the head chef made an entry out of the kitchen, and offered to cookup a pasta-fettachini something, and I found that tempting enough, mainly because of my lately acquired taste for pastas! But the pasta came out raw, and after sending it back, and another plate coming in front of me, the cooking didn't change.
Totally giving up on the much wanted pasta, we were going to wrap up, (the bill had already crossed $50), when the maitre d' offered his apologies, and a chance to have dessert and a hot drink on the house! ;) Now, now, now. As most of my batchmates/seniors/juniors would agree, that is onething that you should not do to an IITian. Offering free food suddenly opens up space in the much filled stomach. I ordered a granita, Indrie a choc Souffle, and then to top it all, 2 cups of hot chocolate. After dowsing all this into my already full stomach, from the days outing, and from the little food that I ate, we were just about to take out the voucher, when the ever-pleasing maitre d' offered us to let go the bill, because of all the trouble that we had encountered in the course of the meal. Aaah!! Now that is a feeling of satisfaction. Ain't it?

We both happily agreed, and I let Indrie use the voucher the next day, with a friend of hers she was supposed to be visiting. Indrie did mention that it was worth seeing the face of the maitre d' and the waitresses when she entered, but then there are always times that you miss out on the fun, ain't it? :((

The other two remaining days at Melb weren't as eventful as the first, and so I guess I can go without describing them. But yes, the dinner was awesome ;)

2 Comments:

At 10:36 am, November 28, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on a nice blog aashish. I was searching for information on permanent makeup and ran across your post this post - not exactly what I was looking for related to permanent makeup but a very interesting read all the same!

 
At 5:20 am, December 28, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on a nice blog aashish. I was searching for information on eye makeup tips and ran across your post this post - not exactly what I was looking for related to eye makeup tips but a very interesting read all the same!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home