Wednesday 18 May, 2005

Thoughts

For the past few weeks, I have been thinking of what am I doing. And what I plan to do. Man! This is so sick. I have ZERO interest in Chemical Engineering. Even though this is the first time in life that I am doing anything interesting to me, I doubt if I'll make a career in this field ever.

For a long time, I have preached that live life a step at a time, don't worry about the future (unless its exams!), and don't worry about what happened in the past. I did happen to follow this rule till quite some time in my life. But, till today I have been unknowingly worrying about a night that changed my perspective to life. And in a totally opposite case to my thinking, the result of the night still lingers in my head. But then, I guess it turned out to be good. :) As we all can see, I am in Australia, living life to its full, at the bachha age of 20 :D:D

But yes, coming back to what I'll be into 2-3 years from now, I have no idea. I hear from all my seniors that job interviews have questions like "where do you see yourself in 5 years time from now?", and I have no answer to that! All I know, I don't want to be a Chemical Engineer. That's off my slate. And then I have this queer habit. I analyze my day after it has passed. I think, if I had done that, that way, then the day would've been better. So, I presume the best thing for me would be some kind of analyst, with being a part of a committee that would analyze stuff and realize how to change things to improve the scenario. Hmm.. Now what does that mean? What am I supposed to be doing?

BTW, what is the job profile in a consultancy? I have no idea. And I guess half of IIT doesn't know either. But, all want a job in McKenzie, Capital One, BCG, and what not. Though I guess not many know what their job profile is. Its just the name, the money, and the fame. That's all that counts when one is in IIT. Who got what job, what uni. In US and/or whether he/she got through IIM. Even when one applies for a PhD. to the universities in States, not many look at what they want to do. Its more of in which field will they get a schol. That's all that matters. No thinking on as to whether you would actually be interested in putting 5-7 years of your 'prime' life into studying and committing yourself to something that you were never interested in the first place. Some know what I am speaking about. Others will say, that's just how life is. Man! That's the worst thing to be spoken ever.

If I ever learnt anything at IIT, its that you are the one who makes or breaks your life. And that is all this great institute teaches to the cream of the nation. When most students apply for a PhD., its more of the fact that they are scared of going into the 'real' world, and prefer staying a student for some more time. It's a way of buying time to mature, maybe not for all PhD. aspirers, but for most of the crowd. Its a way of saying that the next 5-7 years of your life are 'settled'. How many actually think of job prospects, or their future after the 7 years have gone by.

Surely, this internship has been a very learning experience for me. I realised that chemical engg. Isn't that bad, as I felt :) but it also made me sure that I wouldn't like to do a PhD. in this field. Atleast that's what I think right now. Don't know if 2 more years of courses, and another internship would change my mind, but as of now, I am looking for a career change from engineering.

Oh Damn! I left my membrane in the fume cupboard. Shit! Have to run... else the membrane will decompose :O

-aashish

3 Comments:

At 9:53 am, May 18, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abbe jyada nbd nahi lene ka. U dont only have ur student time for exploring, u have the rest of ur life as well.

 
At 11:36 am, May 18, 2005 , Blogger vishnoi said...

kyon bhai. ab bahut ho gaya aish. now am in serious thoughts abt my life :(

 
At 6:49 am, May 20, 2005 , Blogger vishnoi said...

thanks eden.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home