Friday 28 April, 2006

Better off

Coming into IIT I was faced with a question:

What is better?

Only acads, like what I did from 9th to 12th, or
a little of acads, and loads of extra-currics

Ofcourse most of the people who read this (if any that is) would argue that a "proper balance" of academics and extra-curriculars is the best, I would retort "I am a simple human. I would chose from the initial options, and wouldn't be able to maintain a proper balance."

During my 18 years of life @ home I had done enough academics, specially with loads of coaxing from my parents on the "life shall be easy after this period" speech. I presume almost everyone gets to hear once or more that life is easy after class X, life is easy after class XII, life is easy after JEE, ... CPI of 7.5, ... CAT and what not! Well, as soon as I got out of the hands of my parents, I rebelled to this basic chant, and decided to take up things that interested me.

Clearing JEE, I got free advice from almost all the corners of the world. But what I remember and what actually mattered were the fundaes from ex-IITians, just passouts, and people atleast a generation older than me, on "why IIT and not a University College?". It's undoubtedly the hostel life, and the exposure that one gains by taking part in the host of activities (cult, sports, tech and organisation) that are available and waiting to be participated in.

Once in IIT, what refleted on me was the fact that (almost) everyone in IIT would get placed, and those who didn't were because they didn't sit for placements (higher studies, or an MBA). So, what mattered to one was how-much did one take from this place, that the world considers as one of the best. Taking all this into consideration, my 18-year old head decided to chance the extra-currics, and kind of side-track the basics of IIT : acads. I took the risk, and tried my hand at dramatics, finearts, sports, and finally lots of organisational stuff in and around the institute. While doing all this, my academics suffered miserably, and soon I found myself talking about what's better??? with almost everyone and anyone who came across.

That much for me.

Today, with the image of an all-round person being the one who has acads, and extra-currics in his resume, I always thought that the best companies picked people of such talent. Next came the ones with a litlle less academics, but who used the potential of this 550 acre odd land to improve on his personality, his talents, and if I may say so, his contact base. A person who would've just done academics would've excelled in almost every institute across this country, with facilities like the ones here being kept for no use. These were my thoughts.

But some-how, the companies don't see it like this. All that the companies see is the acads of the candidate, and so, it's tough to get through a shortlist with what the students of IIT would generally call a stud resume. At the end of the day, one would need that 8.5 CPI to get through the final list of an A1 company. But again, is that the right criteria to select people? Over the years, I have come to know people who don't interact at all, who don't work as a team, who don't get into healthy discussions, but due to a good CPI are not only shortlisted, but finally selected into lucrative, managerial posts in top-notch MNCs. And then the chap who learnt all this right at this place is shown the door for a lesser grade-card. What I don't get is how would a total academician be helpful in a job that has to only interact with people, and do nothing much more than that. A core tech job for such people would surely be the right choice, but a Sales and Management job would surely be a wrong choice for both the student and the company.

I guess I am getting off the point. What I wan't to ask is at the end of his time at IIT, who leaves this place better off? A complete academician, or a total extra-curric freak? Who has gained more from this land, who has grown from what he entered those 4/5 years back. Who has learnt the ways of life? Who would fare better in the future? Who?

1 Comments:

At 9:37 pm, May 07, 2006 , Blogger Aparajita Paul said...

i firmly believe dat both r important...but if u r hily ambitious den lean a bit on acads.

nowadays most of d jobs also luk 4 sum extracurries.

i'm in grade 9 so i really shouldnt b writin all dese but n e way...

is it wundrful 2 b in iit? i wish 2 b an iitian 1 day.....*wish*

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home